Monday, June 18, 2018

Little Story #22

When I was in high school I had a girl band with four of my friends. We sang Goin to The Chapel and California Dreamin. We did silly little dance moves. I sang in choir and madrigals. I was in the musicals. I played the queen in Once Upon a Mattress. I wanted to sing.
I'm not sure I have the time line of my musical career down. I know the little bit of time on stage with Mark gave me the courage I needed to put together my own band.
There was a band in town called Fat Chance. I asked them if they'd do a gig with me. I'd open for them with a few songs. We would call the gig Two Tons of Fun! There was a place in the mountains, a short drive from Boulder. I wish I could remember more detail. It was kind of a big barn. I rented it, made posters and sold tickets.
My friend Tom Sayers helped me to put together a band. I don't remember if Bradley Kopp was involved. Bradley was one of the first people who supported me. He played guitar in many of my first gigs. I also don't remember who else played, which makes me really sad.
Fat Chance was touring around and they were tired. If I couldn't guarantee a certain amount of money they were not going to show up. I couldn't. Tom paid it.
Looking back I am aware of how many men were involved in getting me on stage. I am grateful.
That gig didn't go particularly well. I think I only sang four or five songs. I still wasn't sure I could really do it. Put together a band. Book a club. Get people to show up.
The next time I tried was my birthday. Again, Poonah helped. He walked me into the office of a club, The Blue Note. My birthday was on a Sunday, a typically slow night in the clubs. We convinced the manager I could draw enough of a crowd it to make it worth being open. I know Bradley was involved in that band I think Lorrie Singer sang back up. Tom Wasinger may have sat in Poonah might have played bass but, again, I don't remember everyone and, again, I feel sad about that.
Musicians weren't that excited about playing in a band that wasn't - cool. I had a lot of friends. Many of which were musicians. But they didn't think of me as talented or - cool. I have a good voice but not a great voice. It's not strong or innovative. I do have fun on stage. I do know how to pick songs and put a show together.
I filled the Blue Note with purple balloons with silver ribbons. I promoted the gig at the Diner. I filled the club. It was successful and confusing. The fellow I wrote about a few posts back showed up with another woman. (I was wearing a real gardenia in my hair. She had a cloth flower in hers.) (I mean.) (Come on.)
It felt like a dream come true but I wasn't sure how it had. I wasn't sure if it was real.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

💜 Was it the Stage Stop in Rollinsville?