Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Oakland

I spent a lot of the day listening to live coverage of the general strike from KPFA. I would need some kind of scooter to attend. I feel old and tired. Arm chair activist.
It's just the most amazing thing. I particularly like how the movement resists the demands for a statement of intent. What do they want? It seems clear to me.
It will be interesting to see how it evolves. Talk about occupying school that have been closed and houses that have been foreclosed sound good to me.
Funny. I had a post in my head all day, which I will eventually write but right now I'm just caught up in Twitter and FB and Kieth Olbermann and Bernie Sanders and the Port of Oakland is closed.
It's hard to even write about how badly the main stream media is reporting it. The WSJ says the strike fizzled. Pictures of the few acts of destruction are the first posted on SFGate. I'd be mad if I expected anything else.
I don't really know what it can become. I just know it is becoming something.

2 comments:

Daniel Hopkins said...

Kalle Lasn the founder and editor of Adbusters is credited for promoting the first Occupy Wall Street demonstrations. He was interviewed last night on CBC's “As it Happens” program.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/news/audioplayer.html?clipid=2163365708

Worth a listen

Tish said...

I'll check that out. Thanks!