Friday, June 08, 2018

Little Story #12

So. About that money for India story.
Like so many in my generation I became interested in meditation and (so called) New Age spirituality. I read Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda and decided that Babaji was my guru. Babaji is the immortal yogi Christ of India. I never thought I'd meet him.
I learned to meditate from a guy. His wife was a Rebirther. I got involved with Rebirthing. A woman in the group of early rebirthers went to India to meet a guru who was thought to be Babaji. She knew how to get to him.
At that time in my life there seemed to be an endless trail of one thing leading to another. Things seemed magical and guided. All I had to do was follow the clues.
For the next year or so I focused on getting the money to go to India and be with Baba. Which really meant following Leonard Orr (the inventor of rebirthing) around trying to "get clear". Leonard implied he would pay my way but Leonard did things like that and rarely followed through.
One day I decided I'd just get a job and work as much as I could to make the money. I was walking along sort of talking to Baba in my head. My "prayer" was that I believed money wouldn't keep me away form him and I needed him to help me figure out what was keeping me away. In the meanwhile I made a list of restaurants I could cook in.
Suddenly I heard someone calling my name and saying - did you get that money?
A few years earlier I'd been living in an apartment in an old house. That house had been moved. The whole house. When it was moved everyone who lived in it had to move out and somehow HUD was involved. I think HUD caused the move of the house because they build a senior facility on the property or something. HUD was supposed to have given us money to move. That money was still available. A woman who had also lived in the house was there telling me about how to get it.
I mean.
The timing was cinematic.
I got enough money to get a plane ticket. I went to India with 35 dollars in my pocket.
Do I think Baba directed that woman to tell me about the money somehow?  Sure. Why not. I did then. Many of the stories from that time are frozen in amber. I don't have the same ... belief ... faith ... sumthin. But the things that happened were so real for me then. I do have an analysis about why I was so open to having a guru and wanting divine intervention. But I am not going to harsh on the many mysterious events of that time.
It was all very sweet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are on a roll! And I’m really enjoying the ride. 💜

Tish said...

I appreciate you reading. I'm aiming to get to end of June.