Monday, June 04, 2018

Little Story #8

I was raised a Methodist but I lived in a Catholic neighborhood. In the morning I went down the hill to go to school and everyone else went up the hill. They had uniforms. I thought Catholics were so much more interesting. They had special beads when they prayed. And they had nuns. I really wanted to be a nun.
After school we played together. One day a girl told me I was going to hell because I wasn't Catholic. I went home crying. When Grandmom found out why I was crying she grabbed me by the arm and dragged me to the little girl's house. I don't remember what she said or what the little girl's mom said back I know it was a scolding. I remember thinking that if I went to hell my Grandmom would come and drag me outta there.
My cousin and I were nervous kids. I'd say he was worse than I was but ... that would be a lie. I just acted like I wasn't nervous. We didn't like scary movies. There was a double feature at the theater up the street. One was a scary movie and one was not. Grandmom called to make sure the not scary was one was playing first and the sent us to the movie. The scary one was first. We tried to be brave but there were really big spiders. He was hiding his eyes. I said - lets get out of here. We went home in tears. Told Grandmom. She grabbed us both and dragged us to the theater where she got our money back.
It wasn't enough for her to scold someone who had done us wrong. It was important that we see her do it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this 💜

Anonymous said...

You had a bad ass grandma!!!💪🏽