Monday, June 25, 2018

Little Story #29

There is a line in a Joni Mitchell song -(I could probably do a bunch of posts starting like that)- I didn't know I drank such a lot, till I pissed a tequila anaconda the full length of the parking lot.  
Who else could write a line so visual and kind of beautiful about something so transgressive?
I have a few of those kind of stories. A back alley in Georgetown comes to mind. But it isn't the too drunk in the city and too far from a bathroom stories that are my favorite.
During the rebirthing years I lived in a sort of commune in northern California. Leonard Orr owned the property and called it a training center but he had no real plan and no rules. People had landed there and taken over in a way. Some did workshops. Most just sat in the hot springs. I arrived for the India training that Leonard told me was going on. There was no India training. There was a kitchen.
No one was running it and there was contention about who should be able to run it. I don't remember how but I just ... sort of ... kind of ... took over. The first night I found a bag of carrots. I made carrot soup. I think I may have also made biscuits. I sold that soup and used the money to buy food for the next meal. Eventually I had a nice service going on. Two meals a day. I baked bread every morning.
I'd wake up and start the bread dough. While it was rising I'd take a swim. I'd shape the dough into loaves and as they were rising I'd head to the hot springs for a quick soak. By the time every one else was waking up I'd have filled the lodge with the smell of bread baking and I'd be making eggs or fruit salad or whatever. It was nice.
One morning I was in the hot springs and realized I needed to pee. It was a bit of a walk back to the lodge. I wouldn't have time to get there and back before it was time to put the bread into the oven.
I walked a few feet away from the concrete enclosure where the hot spring flowed into concrete tubs. Squatted and peed. I was naked. I was looking out over a beautiful vista as the sun rose. The smell of trees and water filled the air. The sound of birds and squirrels. I felt feral. I'd like to say I remember my own anaconda flowing through the pine needles and dirt but I'd be making that up. I just know I was happy.

1 comment:

Mary Brenneman - Cakes911 said...

I’ve fallen behind in reading your stories. I’ve missed them!