Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Kent State

 May forth is the anniversary of the Kent State massacre. Four students were murdered on campus by the National Guard. One of them, Allison Krause, had just graduated from the high school I was attending. I hadn't known her but many of the kids had, and it was a very emotional day. 

I came of age in that environment. I believed in the revolution. I believed that some systems needed to be destroyed, 

My throat is still tight. And I have tears in my eyes that won't come out. 

I'm looking for signs of hope. 

Currently, there are maps showing how far a woman will have to travel to get an abortion if Roe falls. There is a group of pilots who are offering their planes and their time to take women who need an abortion and people who need gender conforming services to places where they can get those services.

So. 

There ya go. 

 

2 comments:

lisahgolden said...

When I was about 9 years old, my parents took me to see the movie The Trial of Billy Jack. That movie and its use of the National Guard as a method to enforce the status quo always tangled up in my kid brain with Kent State.

My older sister tried to explain to me that they were not the same event.

I remember the impact those scenes of state violence on citizens exercising their right to protest had on me. Me - a working class, college-educated, 50-something, white woman awash in privilege - I'm still distrustful all these years later of uniformed authority.

Anyone who wants to discount the impact that systemic racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, religious oppression can just take a seat.

Tish said...

Yes!!!!!!
I'm not sure I saw The Trail of Billy Jack but the Billy Jack was huge for me!