Monday, May 16, 2022

Slowness

 I am slow. Brain and body. That is a general truth that's a little bit truer today. There's no obvious reason. 

When I was in New York, I worked with a restaurant manager. I didn't think much of her, but I didn't need to. She wasn't really overseeing the kitchen. One day we had a conversation at the bar. I don't remember what started it or exactly what it was about. It might have been that she was newly pregnant. She told me that she realized that white people weren't having babies and she felt like it was her duty to make white babies. 

I remember I sort of walked away, dazed. As it sank in, I got angry. She was leaving so I didn't see her again and wrote it off as her stupidity. That was around three decades ago. The replacement theory has been around for at least that long. Longer. 

White people talking about being native in this country is infuriating. 

I listen with my slow brain and feel rage. 

No comments: