Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A writer I knew once told me that she started by 'writing off the dross'. She just started writing about anything without editing or concern for the quality of the writing. At some point she'd settle in and begin working more seriously. Sometimes she'd keep the first writing and sometimes she'd dump it.
I want to think that's what I'm doing now. If I think about it too much I begin to tense up. There's no certainty that I'll ever gear up. All day yesterday I thought about posting but I was too busy. When I finally got home I was too tired.
And this has been the story of the last year plus of silence. Bits of ideas for writing drift through me but never find their way to the page. I barely write email. I barely talk out loud.
One more bite of peach and I must begin to work.

No comments: