Sunday, June 19, 2022

Celebrate

 It's a weekend full of celebration. 

I saw a video on TikTok suggesting that Sylvia Rivera had been booed off the stage at the first Pride Parade. I did some research, and it seems that she was booed off a stage, but it was at a Christopher Street Liberation rally a few years later. She interrupted a speech that was critical of drag queens. There's actually a lot of confusion about her. She is sometimes given credit for being at Stonewall and some say she wasn't there. But she was an important part of those times and the beginnings of Gay Liberation. I need to read more. 

There is video of her being booed. It's frustrating. Contention always seems to rise up.

I love Pride. I'm always going to support the celebration of liberation. And. There are a lot of problematic parts. Lots of commercialization. Corporate sponsorship. 

Similarly, this year Walmart lost their mind and made Juneteenth ice cream. Also, paper plates and cups, which might be useful but...uh...no.  

There is a conversation about whether white people should celebrate Juneteenth. Again. I'm always going to celebrate liberation. But I'm not going show up at the BBQ. I'm going to celebrate quietly. 

No comments: