Sunday, April 17, 2022

Untethered

 I just finished reading Real Estate by Deborah Levy. I am quite enamored with her writing. There are two main themes in the book. Sort of. She is never limited by a theme. She is about to turn sixty. Her two daughters are adults One is about to leave for college. She has made a living writing for some time but not enough to buy a house. She has begun to long for a house. She sees an egg-shaped fireplace and it becomes a central descriptor for what she wants. The fireplace and a pomegranate tree in the yard. 

She is also preoccupied with writing a female character in a different way. She is (sort of) pondering sexism. When people are talking to her about things she doesn't really want to talk about she is thinking about her writing. 

I remember when I would be thinking about something I was writing. Sitting on a bus. Trying to watch television. Making dinner. And the writing would be rattling in my brain. I'm sort of there now. Now that I can type with both hands. 

I'm also nervous about having lost the ability to focus. My thinking has been untethered for so long.  

1 comment:

dimplewarus said...

Focus is hard won these days!!