Wednesday, April 27, 2022

ADHD

 One of things I've learned a lot about on TikTok is ADHD. I have a friend who has it. We talk. I think I may have it. Older people, especially older women have a hard time getting a diagnosis. I don't really feel like I'm suffering. I can see a lot of ways I navigated through life with it. 

I'm a pretty hyper everything in its place person. Probably a way to stave off scattered thinking. Aging is a factor in my ability to function. I am more forgetful. And trauma factors in. 

ADHD is a brain issue. One of the things people who get meds almost always report is a quieter brain. I'd like a quieter brain sometimes. But my chatty brain is also where I get a lot of insight. I would add creativity, but I don't feel that creative at the moment. 

But I know I lose the ability to concentrate. Always have. Or I go into a zone and can't pull myself out. In ADHD terms I have executive dysfunction. 

I'm finding these ideas clarifying. I feel like I'm sinking deeper into myself. 

2 comments:

lisahgolden said...

Isn't it interesting how there isn't one way to experience something like ADHD? I empathize with you on the chattering brain.

The same with the autism spectrum. I think, for example, that my father is on the spectrum, but never in a million years would a high functioning man born in 1937 to a very poor family have been identified as autistic unless he had a severe impediment to functioning.

But then I wonder - IS he on the spectrum or has his world narrowed so much as he ages and now that he's a widower that he gets hyper focused on specific things?

It's all so interesting.

Tish said...

It is interesting! I've seen people get such relief from being diagnosed. Things make sense for them for the first time. And yeah. There is the age factor. Hyperfocus might be ADHD. I guess the real question is whether or not to get a diagnosis and meds.