Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Social Media

 I love TikTok. I have a really lovely group of people who come to my page. We have fun. It reminds me of the early days of blogging. 

But. 

There are issues.  

Of course, there are. 

The BIPOC community has content suppressed. LQBTQIA too. If you aren't in those communities but share their content, it may be blocked on your page. Or it may stay on your page and be taken off their page. I've come close to leaving more than once. 

I stay for the support. The community. 

And now Twitter. I'm not on Twitter very much. But. Elon? Ew. And yet, Mark? The white men with too much money are everywhere. 

I'm kind of a shut in these days. Social media is a real place for me. But I'm always wondering about the ethics of my participation in systems where social control isn't even behind a curtain. 

3 comments:

dimplewarus said...

A very young friend of mine told me she thought I'd like TikTok. I loaded the app, but have no clue as to how to proceed. The list of stories (or whatever they're called) is unappealing. I shall ask another young friend to help me learn if this is for me. I despise tech for elbowing me out.

Tish said...

TikTok was off putting to me at first too. Search for me. Fatshadow1008 or Tish Parmeley. You can see my videos and if you get that far I'll give yu some other ideas.
XO

lisahgolden said...

I feel like I'm still learning TikTok and I appreciate you for all that you've taught me in how the platform works and tips for making it work better for all of us.

I am glad for the people I've met there. It does remind me of the old blogging days. I would have never guessed it would be the closest thing to blogging with the creativity, the niches, the variety of content. All of it.