Sunday, April 24, 2022

Muscle Tone

 I'm starting to think like a writer. There's a narrator always writing sentences about everything I'm doing. 

Someone on TikTok said something about people talking to themselves because they grew up being afraid to say things. Talking to themselves is safer. There is some truth to that but a strong inner dialogue is a good thing. Often the way we process all that trauma. And often the beginning of creative expression. 

TikTok does get a lot of my inner musing. Sometimes I think it makes writing harder. I come up with things to say there and have nothing left. 

I redo TikTok videos sometimes. It's like editing. You have sixty seconds to get it all in. You have to let go of some details. 

Writing is different and I keep trying to listen to the narrator. Remember all those sentences. 

When I was in school, I was writing all the time. Different kinds of writing for different classes. I was faster. I still had to edit. I actually love rewriting. I had to write so I got stronger. 

Blog writing has always been first thought best thought. I've always tried to work fast and not worry about the rules. 

Which does not mean I don't care if it's interesting. I just want to keep things simple for the moment. I want to let myself be weak and let the doing of it build the strength. 

2 comments:

dimplewarus said...

Good for you, admitting that you think like a writer!

I once heard Clarissa Pinkola Estes (or Pinky, as I fondly think of her) say that women are too inclined to "talk their writing away," and warned against it. ("Dangerous Old Woman" podcast). It hit a nerve in me because I've done that all my life.

Lately I find myself thinking of phrases at 3 and 4 in the morning. Have yet to rise from under the covers and try to them down, but I realize it wouldn't be a waste of time now that I don't have to rise at 6.

Maybe catch that narrative voice when you hear it? I'd love to see what you come up with.

Tish said...

If I come up with anything it will probably end up here. :-)