Monday, April 25, 2022

Letter Between Poets (edited)

 My friend Mandy made me an Advent calendar last year. It was a stack of books. 

She knows me. 

My profile picture on Facebook has all of them and a few others from other friends. I was looking at it this morning to see how many I'd already read and saw The Dolphin Letters. It's a book of letters between Elisabeth Bishop and Robert Lowell. And a few others in their circle. 

I've been doing my poetry fragment project on Twitter this year with Elizabeth Bishop poetry because I wanted to read more of her. I have a really nice Library of America book of her poems, prose (which I didn't even know she wrote) and letters. And I read Love Unknown (a biography). But I'm planning on spending the day reading letters between poets. 

Exciting. 

Bishop's poetry feels solid. Her mastery of form is solid and she's not trying to mystify. I feel like I need to keep reading to really know but it's been a good month. 

Edit!!! I goofed. The Dolphin Letters is Elizabth Hardwick. I make that mistake all the time!!! 

1 comment:

lisahgolden said...

I'm loving the snippets of the poetry on Twitter.